ShowMyDesktop is a feature that allows a Web Conference participant to show his/her screen to the other participants in an online meeting. ShowMyDesktop is Presentation Software built into conferences that permits the sharing of a conference participants screen, allowing the participant to show any application to the other participants in the meeting room, while at the same time, broadcasting video and audio. You do not need to upload anything in advance. ShowMyDesktop allows conference members to share their computer screen with others in a meeting, and in so doing, display everything from a spreadsheet or word processing document, to a full screen PowerPoint presentation or product demonstration.
- 1 Installing
- 2 Completing the installation and running SMD
- 3 Uninstalling on a PC
- 4 Uninstalling on a Mac
- 5 Using ShowMyDesktop
- 6 Running and Using the Highlighter Tool
NOTE: In order to share your desktop with your Participants, you will need to have the ShowMyDesktop plug-in installed! To simply view the presentation, this installation is not required.
NOTE: Guests need to be given ShowMyDesktop Rights from within the User Rights section in the Host Options before they are able to see the Install ShowMyDesktop option in the conference room. (If you already have the ShowMyDesktop drivers installed, you do not need to go through the installation process again!)
ShowMyDesktop Direct Links
Installing on Windows XP/Vista/7 - In Internet Explorer
- Click the Install ShowMyDesktop button to begin
- Click Install ShowMyDesktop again
- Simply click Run to start the application installer.
- It may prompt you with the following box, simply press Run again:
- Follow the installation instructions and continue below…
Installing on Windows XP/Vista/7 - In Mozilla Firefox
- Click the Install ShowMyDesktop button to begin:
- Then click Install ShowMyDesktop again
- Firefox users will need to save the file to the desktop and double click the icon ShowMyDesktop.msi to continue
- Simply follow the prompts through the installation process to install the Plugin. Then follow the installation instructions and continue below.
Installing on a Mac
We have recently seen some performance issues with Flash 11 and are recommending using the following instructions for getting ShowMyDesktop to work properly on your Mac.
- We’ve found that Adobe Flash Player version 11,1,x,x to be the best.
- We have also found that Google Chrome is the most stable web browser to use.
To uninstall your current version of flash, download this file - Mac Flash Uninstaller
- To get Flash Player version 11,1,102,63 download this file - Flash Player 11,1,102,63
- Download this file to install ShowMyDesktop - ShowMyDesktop for Macs
With these three files downloaded and saved to your computer, follow the steps below.
- Fully quit your web browser
- Run the Flash Player Uninstaller
- Unzip the 11,1,102.63 archive
- Install the file located in these folders - fp_18.104.22.168_archive > 11_1r102_63_32bit > flashplayer11_1r102_63_mac.dmg
- Open the ShowMyDesktop dmg file and run this package - ShowMyDesktop - Enter Screen - 10 fps.pkg
You must open your browser in 32-bit mode in order for this function to work properly.
- Open your Applications folder and find your Safari or Firefox icon.
- Google Chrome only operates in 32-bit mode (more on Chrome below)
- Hold down CTRL on your keyboard and click on the browser icon.
- Click Get Info.
- In the info screen that opens, click on the checkbox to Open in 32-bit mode and close the information screen.
You’ve completed the steps necessary to get ShowMyDesktop working on your Mac. Below are the additional steps for using Google Chrome.
- Open Chrome and type “about:plugins” in the address bar without quotations.
- Click on the + sign in the top right next to Details. If you see a – sign instead of +, continue to the next step
- Scroll down until you see Flash (2 files)
- Disable the version in the location “/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/18.0.1025.168/Google Chrome Framework.framework/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player Plugin for Chrome.plugin”
You’ve completed the steps necessary to get ShowMyDesktop working on your Mac using Google Chrome
Completing the installation and running SMD
- Once the installation is complete, click Finish.
- To activate the Show My Desktop, you must reload the meeting by simply clicking Reload Meeting.
You are now ready to share documents with others! Continue to the next section to learn how to use the Show My Desktop Plugin.
Uninstalling on a PC
If for any reason you need to uninstall the Show My Desktop plug-in, perform the following steps:
- Go to the Add/Remove programs management console in the Control Panel.
- Scroll the list of installed applications until you find ShowMyDesktop
- Select the entry and click on Remove
- Reboot the system. The ShowMyDesktop application will be completely removed. After uninstalling the machine needs to be restarted so that all the driver entries are removed properly from the device manager.
Uninstalling on a Mac
- You can move the ShowMyDesktop.component file to the trash.
- This file is in the Hard Drive > Library > QuickTime
NOTE - Sometimes this file will have a different name, but it will still be in the same location.
Once the ShowMyDesktop has been installed and your computer rebooted, log into your account as a HOST and start a meeting to test.
- To Activate, select ShowMyDesktop from the buttons in the lower left corner of the screen (See Below)
ShowMyDesktop Options: Once you click the ShowMyDesktop... Button, you can now configure your presentation options to fit your presentation.
1) What to Show: You can choose how you would like the SMD to handle what is shown on the screen by choosing from the options here.
- Entire Screen: This will show the entire screen, everything YOU see, your attendees will see.
- Select Application: Select from a list of currently active applications running.
- Active Application: Show only the application you want, if you switch to another application the Screen sharing will pause until you come back to the original application.
- Other Device: Here you can display the camera in the area that the SMD would show your desktop.
2) Other Options: Screen Updates: You can choose between two different SMD modes depending on how much bandwidth you and your attendees expect to have available.
- Favor Sharpness: This will keep the screen as sharp as possible, but you may experience greater delay between movements.
- Favor Speed: This will include a specific function to optimize bandwidth. As you navigate between documents or screens, the screen will temporarily get less clear in an attempt to save bandwidth. Pausing movement for 1 second will increase the resolution again.
Other Options: Main Video Panel: Here you can select which participants video will show in the upper right corner of the screen during your presentation (defaults to the host of the meeting).
3) Other Options: Show All Attendees: Here you can select if the participants video boxes will be shown on the right corner of the screen during your presentation.
4) Other Options: Allow Fit to Screen: By checking this you are telling the system to stretch the presentation to fit into the viewers browser window. In other words, if the person viewing has a larger resolution than you, this will stretch it to fit their screen size. You can also it to be set by default by checking the box below.
5) Load Highlighter: If you want to draw/write over the top of your screen (like in Microsoft PowerPoint) then you can download and run the Highlighter Tool for use in your presentation. (SEE BELOW)
6) Start/Close: To start sharing your screen with the group, press the Start button. To return to the conference, press the Close button.
Once your presentation has started, you can pause or stop by clicking the pause/stop buttons on the right:
Running and Using the Highlighter Tool
If you want to draw/write over the top of your screen (like in Microsoft PowerPoint) then you can download and run the Highlighter Tool for use in your presentation. (NOTE: CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE FOR MAC USERS) From the SMD Options box press the Load Highlighter Button and a small box will popup:
Simply click OK and Run to open the file, or save the .exe to your desktop and double click the icon to run.
You now have the following buttons:
1. Restore Mouse Cursor and reset tool
2. Freehand drawing tool (With line thickness selector below)
7. Write Text
8. Numeric Notation
9. HIDE transparency - to hide what you have drawn
10. Screenshot Tool
11. Clear all Highlighter drawings
12. Hide Desktop icons - you can then use your desktop as a virtual one-way blackboard to write freehand notes
13. Color wheel selector